Saturday, September 3, 2011

Confused

Well we are still here and probably will be for at least a few more days. Landry is getting better, it is just taking a long time. He is getting less fluid through his IVs and his diarrhea is slowing down. The doctor on call here today told me that now she thinks that Landry doesn't have a bug but rather he is experiencing a reaction similar to kids who have short gut would get. The trigger would be the vaccines that he got on Tuesday and his body just reacted this way. She doesn't think it is a bug because his white blood cell count is still high, he hasn't tested positive for any viruses from stool samples, and we can't pinpoint an exposure to any bugs that we know about. So - if this is the case, my next question for the surgeon is going to be if the swollen part of the intestine is the part that would cause this or if it is just his intestines throughout. If it is the larger section, is the answer surgery to cut it out? Will he not have anymore of these episodes if that is done? If we leave that bit of intestine in, will we keep having these episodes every time his body is exposed to something? I will have to wait until Monday to ask her these questions. I think Tyler is going to stay here tonight. As much as I wish I could stay here to nurse Landry, I think my body is just getting too worn down staying here night after night. A decent night's sleep will be nice, even though I will still need to get up to pump. It goes without saying that I can't wait to get him home again and hopefully once and for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment