Saturday, July 30, 2011

Day 24

Today my mom and I went in to see Landry in the afternoon.  He slept the entire time she held him but was awake and alert by the time I held him.  He hadn't had any morphine since 7am and this was around 2:00 so it was just like he was back to the same Landry as he was before the surgery.  He is starting to look like George Costanza these days.  I don't know if it had something to do with the surgery or just normal baby stuff but ever since he got back from surgery he has lost nearly all his hair on the top of his head.  It's pretty cute.  His nurse today thought his stomach was feeling a little hard so he had an x-ray to see what was going on.  He showed a lot of air in his stomach so he had a tube put down his nose and into his stomach to help suck it out.  It is connected to a machine that sucks air out every few minutes.  It will run for the night then he will have another x-ray tomorrow to see if he still needs it.  Yesterday, the neonatologist ordered to have this same tube put in because she thought the surgeon over looked putting it in after surgery but the surgeon actually felt it wasn't necessary so they ended up taking it out.  It's too bad they didn't just leave it in since he ended up needing it anyway because he was VERY upset that he had to have it put in.  The nurse said that he threw a fit for a good hour afterwards so she had to end up giving him more morphine to settle him down.  By the time Tyler and I got back in for our evening visit, he was calm and relaxed but definitely a little out of it.  I hate seeing him like that and hopefully he won't need it at all soon.  We talked with the nurse about what is involved in pulling out the broviac which is the internal line that goes up his groin where he has been getting all his nutrients from since he can't eat.  The nurse told us that parents usually don't like to be there when this comes out.  It is attached to a clamp of sorts that remains in his body for the rest of his life but to remove it they have to break it off the clamp.  I guess the surgeon has to pull pretty hard to make this happen and the babies get pretty upset because of the pain.  They do give them morphine ahead of time for the procedure.  It doesn't sound fun....  I just have to keep reminding myself that everything they are doing is to help him and make him better.  Sometimes it seems like he is just getting tortured there though.  Counting down the days til he gets home.....  but it feels like an eternity.


  1. He's got your big eyes Airbear!!

  2. Erin, Ty, Jane and Scott,
    This has been quite a journey to read. But what a set of great parents and Grandparents this little guy has. He is such a cutie and what a personality, I would love to be able to hear what he is saying in his head. You've done a great job with your pictures and captions. I feel like I know him.
    I'm so glad you have the surgeries behind you, I can't even imagine how hard this has been and must be for all of you.

    Before you know it, it will be over and "all" of you will be home with smiling faces:-). Love and Prayers coming your way everyday.
    Susan Blythe