Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 22

Well today was the big day - his second surgery.  We got to the hospital around 7:30 and he was scheduled to go back at 8:30.  We were able to snuggle him up before he went back.  He had a surprisingly good night considering he was off his food completely starting at midnight.  The nurse told us that he pretty much slept through the night - wow!  We met with the surgeon and anesthesiologist briefly and then he was wheeled off to surgery.  We waited in the waiting room and were called periodically by our nurse, (who we love by the way) throughout the procedure to update us on his progress.  She first called to tell us he had gotten a late start and didn't actually go to sleep until 9:25.  Later she called to tell us that the surgery was taking longer because there were many adhesions that the surgeon was cauterizing.  We were told that some people develop adhesions more easily than other people and apparently Landry is one of those people.  This was a little disappointing to hear since he will be developing more adhesions after this surgery and they could potentially lead to another surgery - but perhaps not.  Waiting for the surgery to be over felt like an eternity.  Once he was done, he was sent back to the NICU to recover.  We saw him pretty close to when he first got back.  Luckily, he was able to get off the ventilator right after surgery so we didn't have to see him back on that.  What was most startling about seeing him initially was how pale he was.  Because of the adhesions, he had lost a lot of blood and needed a blood transfusion.  After that was finished, his color was much better.  For the remainder of the day, he was pretty out of it.  He would have moments where it looked like he was about to fall asleep only to start crying out in pain.  His pain ball gave him localized pain medicine and he was also given tylenol.  There was a bit when morphine was discussed again but he settled down and didn't end up needing it as of yet.  His nurse spent most of the day just trying to keep him as comfortable as possible.  He seemed pretty miserable to me so I hope his recovery this time is just as quick as the first.  We are all pretty exhausted around here tonight, it was a long, draining day.  We can only go up from here though.  The guess about when he can come home is 10 days to two weeks.  I hope it flies by and he is home in no time.

Our before surgery snuggle

I think Landry is trying to hide so he doesn't
 have to go to surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment